Sunday 2 June 2013

On30 Reefer

My reworked Kennebec River Brewery reefer is seen in use on the W&Q.
Bachmann's Narrow Gauge Reefer

A few years back Bachmann offered a group of colourful On30" narrow gauge reefers. One that caught my attention was the green and black Kennebec River Brewery car. The car's logo notes the brewery is located at The Forks, Maine. Since it was lettered for Maine I decided it's flavour would add nicely to my small fleet of cars. The brewery date in the logo reads "since 1997" which one could change to reflect a more appropriate time frame. For now I have just left the date.

A nice article "Three easy pieces", by Bob Hayden in the May/June 2008 Gazette tells how he modelled his Kennebec River Brewery car. I actually followed his comments to improve my model. I began by removing the ice hatches and adding new styrene roofing. I also added a HO scale building smoke stack which looks good on this car. I used Bachmann's low profile trucks to lower my car which now looks much more prototypical. I used Kadee coupler pockets to install the included couplers at the proper height. The sides got a coat of flat finish followed by chalk weathering. The underframe and roof received a coat of Floquil grimy black. The ends got just a dusting of grimy black. This is a great looking narrow gauge model and the few changes made a big difference...George Dutka


No comments:

Post a Comment