Saturday 6 April 2013

W & Q Section House

The upgraded section house is ready to be re-installed on the W&Q module.

Maine Two Foot Prototype Section House
 Upgrading my completed structure

On my On30" Wiscasset & Quebec module I have two structures. One is the freight house and the other a section house which emulates the style found on the SR&RL. I had built two others in HO scale in the past following Dave Frary's plans found in the April 1969, RMC.

All the sides are seen ready to be glued together. My structure is not an exact copy of Dave's RMC plans but resembles what he built in the article. I had to work with a size that would fit and look right on my module.

Ready for painting. Unfortunately I never took a photo of the building prior to the upgrade.
In 2010 I constructed an O scale version using Mt. Albert Scale Model 4.5" clapboard siding. I used Grandt Line 8 pane windows #3702 and a Grandt Line freight door #3618. The walls are painted Floquil concrete then given a coat of grime. The trim, door and windows are painted Floquil CNW green which received a coat of flat finish once finished. CNW paint has a gloss finish to it. The roof is a sheet of styrene covered with masking tape painted grimy black. The section house was glued in place on my W&Q module with a few added details piled beside the structure.

Structure Update
This past winter while I was completing my W&Q module, I had to make a decision about painting the freight house. I always thought the trim on the section house was too dark. I wanted to have the two structures painted similar. Peter Mumby was at the point that his station-yard office needed some paint also. I decided that the W&Q company trim colour would be changed to Floquil coach green.  At that point I decided to upgrade the section house also. Since I finished the structure I had done about a dozen other buildings. What I am finding is my structure models have really improved in the three years since I built this model. I also thought this would be an easy upgrade.

Some of the siding board are pulled up and the nail holes are added prior to adding the Hunterline weathering mix.
I began by brush painting all the trim, windows and door Floquil coach green. I went back over the siding adding nail holes with a pin and also lifting some of the boards. I then washed the walls with a coat of Hunterline weathering mix, followed by a dusting of  Bragdon gray and brown powders. The window frames also got a coating of powder. I pulled out the clear plastic window glazing and airbrushed it with Floquil flat finish. I wanted the windows to look dirty. The roof got a brushing of Bragdon soot mixed with a bit of dark rust. The structure looks great now. I am really glad I took the time to try some of my newer finishes and techniques...George Dutka

1 comment:

  1. George, can you post the plans here? I think after 35 years, no one will really mind.

    ReplyDelete